In our opinion, and in the general world of holistic pet care, homeopathy stands out as a gentle yet effective approach to addressing various ailments in our beloved furry companions.
You’ve probably heard us talk about homeopathy a lot before – we use the various remedies for many, many different things.
Among the myriad of homeopathic remedies, ruta graveolens, commonly known as ruta, has gained popularity for its versatile healing properties. In this blog, we’ll delve into the uses for ruta in dogs and cats.
The Origins of Homeopathic Ruta
Ruta graveolens, or rue, is a perennial herb native to southern Europe. Known for its blue-green foliage and small yellow flowers, rue has been used in traditional medicine for centuries. In homeopathy, ruta is prepared through a specialized process that harnesses the healing properties of the plant.
This process, for rue specifically, looks a little like this:
- Tincture: The rue plant is macerated and soaked in alcohol to create a tincture.
- Dilution: The tincture undergoes a series of dilutions, where it is mixed with water or alcohol and succussed (shaken vigorously). This process is repeated multiple times, resulting in high dilutions.
- Potentization: The diluted solution is then potentized, meaning it is energized through further shaking or succession. This imparts the healing energy of the substance to the final remedy.
- Final Product: The end product is a highly diluted and potentized solution that retains the energetic essence of the original substance.
The Benefits of Ruta for Dogs and Cats
Ruta has been used in homeopathy to address a range of conditions in both dogs and cats.
Some common uses for ruta include:
- Musculoskeletal Issues: Ruta is often recommended for pets experiencing stiffness, lameness, or pain in the joints, ligaments, and tendons. It can be beneficial for conditions like arthritis, sprains, or strains.
- Eye Health: Ruta is known for its potential to support eye health. It may be recommended for pets with eye strain, inflammation, or discomfort.
- Injuries and Bruising: Whether from accidents or minor injuries, ruta can be helpful for soft tissue injuries, reducing swelling and promoting recovery.
- Fractures: Homeopathic practitioners may consider ruta for pets recovering from fractures, helping to alleviate pain and support the healing process.
- Overexertion: If your active pet is showing signs of overexertion or physical fatigue, ruta may assist in relieving soreness and promoting recovery.
As you can see, it’s a very valuable remedy to have on hand.
Great, so how do you use it?
How to Use Homeopathic Ruta
You can find homeopathic ruta for dogs and cats (it’s the same as for humans) online, or your local health food store will also likely have it. It comes in a variety of potencies. If you are new to homeopathy, go with a 30C potency and look for it in pellet form.
First things first – and this is important – homeopathy is not like a drug. The dose isn’t based on weight, and it doesn’t matter if your animal has 2 pellets or 6. Again, hard to wrap your head around this one, but it’s just the way it works. As long as some of the remedy gets into your pet, the energy of the remedy will be able to get to work.
If your animal will take the pellets without issue by mouth, that’s an easy way to do it. They even have this perfect little pocket just inside their cheek that you can pop the remedy into. For cats, or pickier dogs, this might not be the easiest option. In this case, stir a few pellets into a small cup of water and give the water to your animal. That works too.
**Whenever you give a remedy, try not to touch the pellet with your fingers, and try not to touch the container to your pet’s mouth. If the container comes in contact with your animal’s mouth, wash it with hot, soapy water and make sure it dries completely.
Give the first dose of the remedy and watch for any signs of improvement. If, after 30 minutes or so, you haven’t noticed a change, give another dose. If, after that, you’re still not seeing a change, perhaps try a different remedy.
You can also use a combination remedy like our Jump for JOYnts. It features homeopathic ruta along with calendula, symphytum, and arnica. We love it because it supports healthy joints, ligaments, tendons, and muscles, as well as issues such as CCL injuries, arthritis, and bone and muscle injuries.
Ruta serves as a valuable tool in promoting the well-being of our canine and feline companions. From musculoskeletal issues to eye health, its versatility makes it a staple in the holistic toolkit for pet care. Like all homeopathic remedies, ruta is gentle, yet effective, and can be amazing for providing simple relief to your adored beast.