Forget meatloaf, it’s time to make PupLoaf. This is a popular recipe that’s been shared all around the world! It includes a ton of healthy ingredients; nutrient-packed organ meats, veggies and omega-3s! It’s the perfect treat that packs a nutritious punch.
How to Make PupLoaf
PupLoaf takes a little time, but our fur babies are worth it!
- 3 pounds beef 90% lean
- 8 ounces beef heart
- 5 ounces beef liver
- 20 ounces chicken gizzards
- 3 cans sardines in water, minus the juice
- 6 ounces mussels (3 teaspoons kelp could replace the mussels for trace minerals)
- 2 teaspoons ground fresh ginger
- 5 eggs with shell
- 3 ounces red pepper
- 5 ounces mixed dark leafy greens (kale, chard, spinach)
- 4 ounces broccoli
- 6 ounces butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons flax seed oil
- 4 ounces cranberries
- 4 ounces Shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon ground sesame seeds
To make PupLoaf, grind and mix all of the above ingredients together in a food processor or blender. Pour into loaf, casserole, or muffin pans. Bake at 325 for 30 to 60 minutes depending on the size of the pan. It should be lightly done, not overcooked (juicy in the center).
If your pet has a beef or chicken allergy, turkey is a good substitute. You can also feed it raw if you prefer.
Use within 3 to 5 days, and freeze extra portions. Feed warmed to room temperature.
RELATED: Bone broth is another healthy, nutrition-packed food you can easily make for your pet. Here’s the recipe.
**This recipe was kindly shared with us by Dr. Judy Morgan for the 2020 Science of Nature: Stronger Together Event