As pet parents, one of our greatest responsibilities is providing our animals with the best nutrition we can. And that extends to treats! While we love easy, healthy treats like fruits and veggies, we also get industrious sometimes and make our own!
This healthy dog biscuit recipe is a huge hit in our house. Your pup will love them, they’re a great alternative to those less-than-healthy store bought biscuits – and they’re really easy to make.
Healthy Dog Treat Recipe
This healthy dog biscuit recipe is great for sharing, so get baking!
- 2 3/4 cups almond flour
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (175 degrees C)
- Mix together the almond flour, heat germ, and ground flax seed
- In a separate bowl, mix together the applesauce, eggs, olive oil, honey, and pumpkin
- Slowly combine the dry and wet ingredients together, mixing well.
- Roll out the dough and cut your treats – we like to use a little dog bone cookie cutter!
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the treats are deep golden brown and very hard.
- Cool completely on a rack before letting your pup enjoy.
- Store cookies in the fridge – they’re good for 2 weeks.
More DIY Treat Recipes
Don’t feel like turning on the oven or pulling out the mixer? Don’t! We have several more no-bake dog treat recipes ready for trying and taste testing!
- Pumpkin for days with these three treats – Pumpkin Patch Treats, Apple Pumpkin Pie Iced Cream, and Peach Pumpkin Pots.
- Find 5 probiotic powerhouse treats at this post, including superfood smoothies and fermented vegetables.
- Want something you can both enjoy? Try our signature Green Smoothie!
- We love savoury options too – these treats are no-bake, with essential vitamins and minerals, fatty acids, and more – and they don’t take a lot of time to make!
- PupLoaf! We thank Dr. Judy Morgan for this beloved favourite. Sure, we always make it for the holidays, but it’s healthy and delicious all year long!
We love spoiling our dogs with treats – but our goal is always to find healthy ones that provide a boost, rather than ones that are packed with poor ingredient choices. This healthy dog treat recipe delivers that in spades. Enjoy!